This is my absolute FAVORITE soup. I am only allowed to make it once or twice a month because I will eat myself sick. I just cannot control myself. Be warned, not a low calorie recipe!
- 2 cups bacon cut into bite size pieces
- 1 cup chopped onions
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 2 carrots peeled and chopped
- 5 large potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1 32 oz box of chicken broth
- 3 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 cups instant mashed potatoes (apx)
- 1 pint heavy whipping cream
- Green onions sliced
- Sour cream
- Cheddar cheese shredded
- Bacon crumbles
1.Start the bacon pieces frying in a large pot over medium heat. Saute the onions, celery, carrots, and garlic with the bacon until the bacon is cooked through.
2.Stir in the potatoes and just cover with chicken broth, bring to a boil and then simmer until the potatoes are tender (apx 10 minutes). Add the cheese, stir until melted.
3.Pour cream and instant potatoes into the soup stirring constantly, until soup has thickened. Add more instant potatoes if it isn’t thick enough.
4.Serve with shredded cheese, sour cream, green onions, and bacon crumbles on top.